Thursday 29 January 2015

Build and deliver, your money or your life

After the JISC Stakeholder forum on Tuesday I went to the Chemistry Club, for an evening networking with colleagues from other sectors. it's an informal event, and I got to talk to many interesting people, including from the Cabinet Office where we talked about the Government's "Digital by Design" initiative, some CIOs from Local Authorities who are moving to cloud based solutions and wanted to talk about how we'd done it, and a number of suppliers. We also had a talk from Chi Onwurah, Labour MP and shadow minister for digital government & cyber security.

Yesterday I visited  colleagues from London Universities to talk to them about a number of joint issues, especially around how we organise and shape our departments to deliver services. A common theme was separating out "Build" and "Deliver", and handling the transition between the two. I like to walk wherever possible, and my meetings yesterday were on opposite sides of London - I walked to all of them, and when I checked my fitibit before collapsing into bed, realised I'd clocked up just over 10 miles - I slept well!

Today was the UCISA Executive meeting, also in London, so I missed all the snow, although did get stuck on a delayed train coming home. The main item on today's agenda was looking at the business plans for all of the UCISA groups.They do a great job, including producing guidance and organising lot of events which are of great benefit to the sector. I do encourage staff to get involved with them, and am always pleased to see that Sheffield is well represented.

(btw, apologies to readers who are to young too get the significance of the title of this post...)

No comments: