Sunday 20 April 2008

iPhone quest


So, my quest for an iPhone continues...

As there's still no corporate contract between Apple and O2 (what is wrong with you guys??), we can't buy our Support teams an iPhone or two to test and to help us support our users - many of whom have got them and are bringing them into us to help them connect to our wireless networks, get their email etc. Yesterday I had had enough, and decided to buy a couple using my university credit card, and pay the ordinary tariff (again using the card) until such time as the corporate tariff was agreed.

So, I set off to Meadowhell, pleased with this scheme, and entered the Apple store. They had plenty of iPhones, all priced at £269. Just 20 yards away in the O2 store, they were £169. What's the catch? Nothing - it's just that O2 have reduced them and Apple hasn't. So, I headed to the O2 shop, and discussed buying a couple. It was then I found out that you can't pay the tariff on a credit card - it has to be on a direct debit from a bank account. I didn't think the University would give me details of their bank account, so decided to pay the monthly charge myself.

With two shiny new iPhones in my possession I set off home. Picked one at random from the bag and set about getting connected. Everything was reasonably straightforward, (with the exception of some issues sending emails from my work account which I hope to sort out when back at work), I connected to my home wireless network, to the O2 Edge network, set up my contacts, had fun browsing the web etc. After a couple of hours playing, I decided to wipe the mark off the screen which I'd spotted - only to discover that it was a crack! A bloody cracked screen! You can just about make it out on the very blurred picture above - top centre. So, this morning I packed it all back up, drove to the O2 store - where they very kindly offered to swop it for a new one, swop the sim cards etc - but they'd sold out! And they don't know when they'll be getting a new delivery.

So I still haven't got a iPhone. I think someone might be trying to tell me something....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You bought two iPhones on your personal account?! And then one had a cracked screen. So what happened to the second? I think O2 reduced their price because there's a better model about to appear.

Unknown said...

The second one is still wrapped up in its box. Haven't opened it yet, so hope that's OK, but that was never intended to be mine, but one for testing stuff on.

And I agree about the better model - general opinion seems to be that a 3G version will be out soon.

Anonymous said...

what's the point of buying one to test - it doesn't connect to Eduroam (yet) its just a slugged portable mac so safari and mail work like they do on any other mac - still I suppose it looks flash.

Unknown said...

It might not connect to Eduroam, but it connects to Unishef. I used it yesterday connected to the Edge network and it was fine - certainly faster than my current vodafone device. it might operate like a mac - but its a damn sight smaller than my laptop - and it makes phone calls into the bargain!