Thursday 3 February 2011

Back to work....

Had a nice relaxing week last week in Sherwood Forest, and now back into the thick of it again - not sure where January went!

Spent yesterday at a University presenting my report on a review on their IT services I've just completed - always interesting to visit other places and act as a "critical friend". We've had the same done to us several times, and although some customer comments can make uncomfortable reading, it helps to focus the mind on priorities and somtimes reveals things that you didn't realise were a problem. I've had the opportunity this week to be a customer of our services and to see ourselves as others see us. I am helping with a production at the Drama Studio - our excellent performance space - working front of house with The Company, who I've been associated with for many years. So, I have to have the fire briefing, know what to do to evacuate the building,  - and sell programmes, refreshments etc. And best of all get to watch most of the performance - Arsenic and Old Lace - great production about two old ladies who make a habit of killing lonely men!  I also had some time between meetings and didn't want to go back to the office so spent an hour working in the Information Commons - very peaceful at the moment as it's exam time and we've increased the number of quiet zones in the buildings. A great place to work on a comfy sofa with my iPad.

Other meetings this week include a meeting with the Faculty of Arts to discuss their strategic plan, and an internal communications group where we agree what corporate communications are going out, in what medium, to whom etc. Lots of discussion today about our new Strategic Plan which has just been published - more on that later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was particularly interested in the fact you worked in the IC for an hour. This week I have borrowed a different desk a couple of times and I've found it quite enlightening and its actually helped me be more productive and see things from a different perspective.

The idea of not always working at a desk, or having a meeting sat round a table, always seeing the same four walls, or sitting next to the same person makes for possibly a more stimulating environment.

Possibly hard to implement in reality, but the idea of a more flexible working environment is one that I think personally could be of benefit for the culture of our department.

Rob Needham

Unknown said...

Good point about different places to work. I often try and grab some time in the IC if I can, and I used to spend a few hours every so often in the Computer Centre, but haven't done it for a while. You do get a different perspective, and work in a different way. Something to think about...